Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Photobucket

Stir fry! Roasted tofu with sauce that I made last week (about time I ate it!), green beans and bean sprouts. I think I even got the cooking technique down so everything is done right (though it might be faster another way). Pretty good, and much better than I always recall stir fry being when using frozen veggies and pre-made sauce :P I don't have the sauce recipe on me, but it involved garlic, ginger, orange juice, chili powder (or cayenne, can't remember), green onions... Marinated the tofu in it for a few hours, then baked. I don't really like overly squishy tofu, so for the stir-fry, I fried it up first with just sesame oil (reserved the sauce), then steamed the green beans by themselves with a little water, soy sauce, rice wine and roasted garlic from a jar (still gotta use all that old stuff up). Then I added the tofu back in, poured over the tofu's roasting sauce, and added the bean sprouts. Oh, and added a little more soy sauce, garlic and a little sriracha for good measure. It's fun to invent and have it WORK. Helps that the basis, the tofu sauce, was a recipe. Now I have a starting point.

Also, this is relatively easy to eat with chop sticks. I have my good days and bad days with them...

However, I have been spending too much on groceries. Not very much on anything else, but still. So we'll see how long I can keep this all up... I certainly can eat cheaper, if healthiness is less of an issue. Sad state of affairs. Can't wait until summer & the farmers market!

No comments: